This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Anagrafe - A.I.R.E. - Anagrafe Italiani Residenti all'Estero


Anagrafe - A.I.R.E. - Anagrafe Italiani Residenti all'Estero

AIRE office

The AIRE office (A.I.R.E. stands for Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero) deals with the registration of Italians residing abroad.

As per law no. 470 of 1988 all Italian nationals who move abroad must notify the relevant Consular office within 90 days of arrival in the destination country. This also applies to those who emigrated before the law came into force.

Registering with the AIRE office is a pre-requisite if you need to obtain a number of documents and certificates issued by the Consulate. This is also the case if you need to have your passport issued or renewed. Entering your personal details in the consular data-base will also result in the time needed to handle cases or requests being considerably reduced.

How to register or to notify any change of address:

You need to send the following to the Consulate preferably by email (

-A.I.R.E. form.

- photocopy of a valid ID document (passport or IDcard) showing photo, signature,personal details and ID number for all the family members applying to be registered;

- UAE Residence Visa page;

- Proof residence (choose ONE of the following): Current Tenancy Contract or Utility bill.

For Italian nationals born abroad it is imperative that their birth certificate be registered in Italy at the relevant "comune" (town hall). Please refer to the check list attached to the application form.

Your application for registration as a resident abroad will then be forwarded to the Italian AIRE “comune” (town hall) for consideration.

Updating your AIRE details

Italian nationals must also notify their “comune” (town hall) of any change in their personal circumstances (marital status, citizenship, address, family members, residence).

The Italian comune is notified of the above changes automatically whilst the persons concerned reside in Italy. Conversely, if they reside abroad, the comune can only be notified of the changes if the persons concerned deal with them personally through the Consulate where they reside.

Italian nationals residing abroad are therefore required to inform the relevant Italian consulate of any change, more specifically:

• address abroad;
• citizenship;
• marital status;
• family members;
• change of name.

Registering with the AIRE office is required by law and is equally important to obtain a number of consular services (issue of documents and declarations), electoral certificates and some benefits.



Information on the consular register

All Italian nationals residing abroad should note the following:

  • The registration with the Consulate is compulsory;
  • The registration is free of charge;
  • The prompt update of your personal details (and those of your family) is a pre-requisite for the provision of the consular services;
  • The registration applies to all those who intend to take up residence abroad for at least 12 months;

Note: The form must be complete with PO BOX (including corporate), without this information we can not proceed with the registration.